Mid to late 20th century, paint on canvas
The International Union of Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers (IUE-CIO) kicked off its first annual convention on October 25, 1952 in Guelph, Ontario. In the United States it was affiliated with the IUE, which was founded in 1949. The union members in Canada formed part of District Five until 1965, when the district was renamed the Canadian District.
The late 20th century would bring many changes to the Union. In 1992, they became the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada, as a result of a merger with the Canadian Paperworkers Union, and the Energy and Chemical Workers of Canada. Today, members of these unions, and workers in many other sectors, are represented by UNIFOR, Canada’s largest private sector union, with more than 315,000 members across the country.